주님의 은혜를 기억하며 소망을 가지십시오 > 오피니언

본문 바로가기

이곳은 2017년 이후에 올려진 글입니다. 이전에 올려진 오피니언 글은 지난 오피니언 게시판에서 보실 수 있습니다.

오피니언

주님의 은혜를 기억하며 소망을 가지십시오

페이지 정보

이종식2022-02-11

본문

이종식이번 주는 종교개혁을 일으켰던 마틴 루터가 했던 다음과 같은 말을 생각해 보았습니다.

“성경을 보면 훌륭한 사도였고 믿음의 친구였던 바울과 바나바는 너무 지나치게 다툼을 벌였던 것 같습니다. 그렇게 밀접했던 두 친구 사이를 분리시켰던 것은 격렬한 불일치였습니다. 이와 같은 예는 우리를 위로하기 위하여 기록된 것같이 보입니다. 하나님의 영을 받은 위대한 성도들도 서로 불일치 가운데 어려움이 있었다는 말을 들음이 우리에게 큰 위로가 됩니다. 그러나 이와는 반대로 성도는 그 어떤 죄도 짓지 않는다고 말하는 사람들은 이러한 위로를 우리에게서 빼앗아 갈 것입니다. 성경을 보면 삼손과 다윗을 비롯한 많은 훌륭한 성령 충만한 사람들이 큰 죄에 빠졌습니다. 그리고 욥과 예레미야는 끊임없는 환란 속에 그들이 태어난 날을 저주했고 죽기를 소망하기도 했습니다. 엘리야와 요나도 삶에 지쳐서 죽음을 원했습니다. 그러나 그들 중에 다시는 일어나지 못할 정도로 심하게 넘어진 사람은 없었습니다. 반대로 넘어지지 않을 만큼 굳건하게 서 있는 사람도 없었습니다. 베드로, 바울과 바나바가 넘어지면 나도 넘어질 수 있습니다. 그러나 그들이 다시 일어났다면 나도 다시 일어날 수 있습니다”

마틴 루터의 이 말은 우리에게 대단한 용기를 주고 있다고 생각됩니다. 그 이유는 우리는 모두 연약하여 시험 가운데 넘어지기도 하고 어려운 가운데 낙담하기도 하기 때문입니다. 그러나 성경의 인물을 보면 모두 그러한 과정을 거치면서 결국 일어나 아름다운 열매를 맺게 된 것을 봅니다. 물론 그런 아름다운 열매는 그들과 언제나 함께하셨던 주님의 은혜로 된 것임은 두말할 필요가 없습니다. 그러한 그들을 보며 얻는 지혜는 어려운 일을 당할 때 하나님의 은혜를 구하는 것이 살길임을 알게 됩니다. 우리가 살고 있는 이 세상은 우리가 감당할 수 없는 문제가 거듭 밀려오는 파도처럼 우리를 찾아오기 때문입니다. 특별히 코로나 19라는 팬데믹을 당하여 암흑 같은 삶을 사는 우리는 더욱 하나님의 은혜를 구해야 하겠습니다. 그렇게만 된다면 우리는 모든 어려움을 뚫고 생각지 못한 귀한 열매를 맺게 될 것을 믿습니다.

새해가 시작된 지 어느덧 한 달이 지나고 2월을 맞이했습니다. 아마도 어떤 분들은 어려운 일을 연속적으로 당하며 이번 한 해는 망쳤다고 생각하는 분들이 있을 것 같습니다. 그러나 분명한 것은 이제 한 달밖에 지나지 않았고 아직 11개월이 남았다는 것입니다. 그 남은 열한 달이 소망 있는 것은 하나님이 은혜를 베푸시면 아름다운 열매가 맺힐 것이기 때문입니다.

책에서 이런 이야기를 읽게 되었습니다. 어느 날 오후, 한 남자가 아이들이 경기하는 리틀 리그 야구 경기에 갔다고 합니다. 그는 선수 대기실(Dugout)에 있던 한 소년에게 점수가 얼마인지 물었습니다. 그 소년은 "18대 0으로 지고 있다고 말하였습니다. 그때 그 남자는 아이에게 이렇게 말했습니다. "얘야, 굉장히 낙심해 있겠구나!” 그때 아이는 다음과 같이 말했다고 합니다. “내가 왜 낙심해야 할까요? 게임은 이제 1회고 우리는 아직 타석에 서보지도 않았는데요.”

이 이야기는 우스우면서도 우리에게 좋은 교훈을 주고 있다고 생각합니다. 18대 0으로 경기를 지고 있지만, 자기들의 순서가 오면 그보다 더 좋은 점수를 낼 수 있다는 것을 소망하고 있다는 것이 희망 적으로 보입니다. 그렇습니다. 우리의 삶엔 앞으로 무슨 일이 전개될지 아무것도 모릅니다. 특별히 믿는 우리는 하나님을 바라며 살아갈 때 어떤 일이 일어날는지 알 수 없습니다. 단지 우리가 알고 믿는 것은 생각할 수 없는 선한 일들을 하나님이 펼치시리란 것입니다. 그러므로 어려운 중에서도 주님의 은혜를 구하며 소망 가운데 살기를 주님의 이름으로 축원합니다.

“Let us hope in the Lord as we remember His grace”

This week, I reflected on the words of Martin Luther, who started the Protestant Reformation:
When we look at the Bible, we can see that Paul and Barnabas, who were great apostles and close friends, got into an argument. It must have been a fierce disagreement that separated the two friends who were so close. Such examples are written [in the Bible] for our consolation: for it is a great comfort to us to hear that great saints, who have the Spirit of God, also struggle. However, those who say that saints do not sin would deprive us of this comfort. For instance, Samson, David, and many other celebrated men full of the Holy Spirit fell into grievous sins. Job and Jeremiah cursed the day of their birth; Elijah and Jonah were weary of life and desired death. But no one has ever fallen so grievously that he may not rise again. Conversely, no one stands so firmly that he may not fall. If Peter (and Paul and Barnabas) fell, I too may fall. If they rose again, I too may rise again.

These words of Martin Luther give us great courage. We are all weak, prone to fall into temptations, and easily discouraged in the midst of hardships. But if we look at the people in the Bible, we see that even though they went through difficulties, at the end they rose again and were able to bear good fruit. Needless to say, they were able to bear good fruit by the grace of God who was always with them. But through these figures in the Bible, the wisdom I gained was that the way to live through a difficult situation is to seek God’s grace. In this world, problems come after us like tidal waves. Especially during this dark time of the covid-19 pandemic, we must seek God’s grace all the more. When we do so, we will be able to overcome all difficulties and bear great fruit beyond our expectations.

It is already the second month of the new year. Some of us might think that this year is doomed because we had to face problems after problems. However, only 1 month had passed, and there are 11 more months left to this year. Thus, there is hope for the remaining 11 months because if God pours His grace upon us, we will be able to bear much fruit.

I once read the following in a book:
A man approached a little league baseball game one afternoon. He asked a boy in the dugout what the score was. The boy responded, “Eighteen to nothing—we’re behind.” “Boy,” said the spectator, “I’ll bet you’re discouraged.” “Why should I be discouraged?” replied the little boy. “We haven’t even gotten up to bat yet!”

This short story is humorous, yet I think it teaches us an important lesson. Though they were losing 18 to 0, there was still hope because they had a chance to score better on their next turn. We do not know what will happen in our lives. As believers, we do not know what will happen in our lives even as we put our hopes in God. But what we know and believe is that God will most definitely do something great that is beyond our expectations. Therefore, let us seek the grace of our Lord and have hope even in the midst of hardships.

이종식 목사 (베이사이드장로교회)
ⓒ 아멘넷 뉴스(USAamen.net)
  • 페이스북으로 보내기
  • 트위터로 보내기

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

오피니언 목록

게시물 검색

아멘넷의 시각게시물관리광고안내후원안내ㆍ Copyright © USAamen.net All rights reserved.
상단으로

아멘넷(USAamen.net) - Since 2003 - 미주 한인이민교회를 미래를 위한
Flushing, New York, USA
카톡 아이디 : usaamen / USAamen@gmail.com / (917) 684-0562

모바일 버전으로 보기