하루하루 하나님께 소망을 두고 감사로 살아갑시다 > 오피니언

본문 바로가기

이곳은 2017년 이후에 올려진 글입니다. 이전에 올려진 오피니언 글은 지난 오피니언 게시판에서 보실 수 있습니다.

오피니언

하루하루 하나님께 소망을 두고 감사로 살아갑시다

페이지 정보

이종식2021-11-30

본문

이종식얼마 전 저는 한 책을 통하여 구세군의 창설자인 윌리암 부스에 관하여 다음과 같은 이야기를 읽게 되었습니다. “1846년경 목사 안수를 받은 한 젊은이가 있었습니다. 병약한 그에게 의사는 목회를 계속하면 1년도 넘기기 힘들다고 휴식을 권했습니다. 그러나 그 젊은이는 ‘1년이나 기회를 주신’ 하나님께 감사하며, 열심히 복음을 증거하고 구제 사업을 펼쳤습니다. 놀랍게도 그는 1년이 아니라 84세까지 살았습니다. 이 사람이 바로 1878년 구세군을 창설한 윌리엄 부스 목사입니다. 말년에 그는 이렇게 고백했습니다. “젊었을 때 의사가 나를 버렸기에 나도 의사를 버렸습니다. 그리고 전능하신 하나님만 의지했습니다. 이 믿음이 나를 지켜 주었습니다.”

먼저 이 이야기는 우리의 감사가 병약한 몸도 강건하게 하는 능력이 있다는 것을 알려주고 있습니다. 그 이유는 병 중에서의 감사는 하나님을 생명을 주관하시는 분으로 인정하는 것이기 때문입니다. 그리고 하나님은 그렇게 믿는 자에게 자신을 참 하나님으로 드러내시기 위하여 그를 일으켜 강건하게도 하시는 것입니다. 그러므로 우리는 상황이 안 좋다고 해도 감사할 조건을 찾아내어 감사해야 하겠습니다. 그 어떤 상황이라고 해도 감사할 조건은 있기 때문이고 하나님은 그렇게 감사하는 자에게 귀한 일을 행하시기 때문입니다.

그리고 위의 이야기는 우리에게 시간이 많이 남지 않았다고 해도 아직 자신이 맡은 사명을 위하여 일할 기회를 주심에 감사하며 그 일을 감당해 나가야 한다는 것을 가르쳐 주고 있습니다. 그 이유는 그렇게 살면 더 많은 선한 일을 할 기회가 주어지기 때문이고 우리의 생명이 연장되기 때문입니다. 그러므로 그리스도인은 그 어떤 상황에서도 절망하지 말고 주어진 일에 충실히 사는 것이 중요합니다.

그리고 위의 이야기가 주는 3번째 주는 교훈은 세상 사람들의 부정적인 말을 듣고 절망하지 말고 하나님께 소망을 두어야 한다는 것입니다. 윌리엄 부스는 젊었을 때 의사가 이제 곧 죽는다는 말을 듣고서도 절망하지 않았습니다. 그 이유는 하나님께 소망을 두었기 때문입니다. 그 결과 그는 84세까지 사는 영광을 누리게 되었습니다. 사랑하는 성도님들, 우리는 이러한 이야기에서 배워야 할 교훈이 있습니다. 그것은 매 순간 세상으로부터 오는 부정적인 말을 버리고 하나님께 소망을 두어야 한다는 것입니다. 그렇게 되면 하나님은 길을 내시고 세상을 향하여 살아계신 하나님을 증거하게 되는 것입니다. 그러므로 성도는 하루하루 살면서 감사의 조건을 찾아내어 감사하고, 주어진 일에 충성하고, 부정적인 말을 버리고 하나님께 소망을 두고 살아가야 할 것을 잊지 말아야 할 것입니다.

“Let us Put our Hope in the Lord Each Day as we Live with Gratitude”

Recently, I read the following in a book about William Booth, who was the founder of the Salvation Army:
In 1846, there was a young man who received his pastoral ordination. He was sickly, so the doctor told him that if he continues ministry, he would not be able to even last a year and recommended him to rest and do something else. But this young man gave thanks to God for allowing him even one year to serve him, continued to preach the Gospel, and even started a ministry of charity and humanitarian aid. Amazingly, he did more than just 1 year of ministry; he in fact lived until the age of 84, serving the Lord without rest. This young man was William Booth, who founded the Salvation Army in 1878. At the twilight of his life, Booth confessed, “When I was young, my doctor gave up on me, so I gave up on the doctor. I only trusted in the Lord Almighty, and that faith kept me going.”

First of all, this story tells us that gratitude has the power to make a sick body strong. When we give thanks in the midst of our sickness, we are acknowledging that God is the One who is in control of our lives. God strengthens those who put their trust in Him to reveal Himself as truly God. Therefore, we should search for reasons to give Him thanks even when our situations may not be good. We must give thanks no matter what our situations may be, and God will accomplish great things in the lives of those who give thanks to Him.

Another thing that the story teaches is that, even if we may not have much time left, we should be thankful for the chance to do the work we have been given and do our best to fulfill our responsibilities. When we do so, we will be given more opportunities to do good works, and our lives will be extended. Thus, it is crucial for us, Christians, not to despair in any situation, but be faithful in the work with which we have been entrusted.
The third lesson the story above teaches us is that we should not become discouraged by the negative words we might hear from non-believers, but put our hope in God. When William Booth was young, he did not despair when the doctor told him that he will soon die because he put his hope in God. As a result, he had the honor of living until the age of 84.

Beloved Church, there is something we can learn from this story. We must cast away the negative words we constantly hear in this world and put our hope in God. When we do so, God will make a way for us, and we will be able to testify to the world that God is alive. Therefore, we should remember to live each day searching for reasons to give thanks to God, being faithful in our given tasks, discarding all negative words, and putting our hope in the Lord.

이종식 목사 (베이사이드장로교회)
ⓒ 아멘넷 뉴스(USAamen.net)
  • 페이스북으로 보내기
  • 트위터로 보내기

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

오피니언 목록

게시물 검색

아멘넷의 시각게시물관리광고안내후원안내ㆍ Copyright © USAamen.net All rights reserved.
상단으로

아멘넷(USAamen.net) - Since 2003 - 미주 한인이민교회를 미래를 위한
Flushing, New York, USA
카톡 아이디 : usaamen / USAamen@gmail.com / (917) 684-0562

모바일 버전으로 보기