내가 약한 그때에 강함이라 > 오피니언

본문 바로가기

이곳은 2017년 이후에 올려진 글입니다. 이전에 올려진 오피니언 글은 지난 오피니언 게시판에서 보실 수 있습니다.

오피니언

내가 약한 그때에 강함이라

페이지 정보

이종식2021-10-30

본문

이종식사도바울은 고린도후서 12:7-10절에서 다음과 같은 고백을 하고 있습니다. “여러 계시를 받은 것이 지극히 크므로 너무 자만하지 않게 하시려고 내 육체에 가시 곧 사탄의 사자를 주셨으니 이는 나를 쳐서 너무 자만하지 않게 하려 하심이라 이것이 내게서 떠나가게 하기 위하여 내가 세 번 주께 간구하였더니 나에게 이르시기를 내 은혜가 네게 족하도다 이는 내 능력이 약한 데서 온전하여짐이라 하신지라 그러므로 도리어 크게 기뻐함으로 나의 여러 약한 것들에 대하여 자랑하리니 이는 그리스도의 능력이 내게 머물게 하려 함이라 그러므로 내가 그리스도를 위하여 약한 것들과 능욕과 궁핍과 박해와 곤고를 기뻐하노니 이는 내가 약한 그 때에 강함이라 (고후.12:7-10)

이 말씀을 보면 사도 바울은 그가 귀한 은사를 가진 이유 때문에 교만하지 않게 하려고 육체의 가시가 있었다고 합니다. 성경학자들은 그가 가지고 있었던 육체의 가시는 안질이었을 것이라고 말합니다. 그가 다메섹 도상에서 예수님을 만났을 때 빛을 보고 쓰러진 이후로부터 생긴 병이 아니었나 하는 추측을 하게 됩니다. 이런 이유로 그는 참 불편하고 아팠기 때문에 하나님께 세 번을 기도하였다고 말씀하고 있습니다. 특별히 전도자로서 책을 읽는 것도 불편하고 편지를 쓰는 것도 불편했기 때문입니다. 그리고 어디를 가서 복음을 전하려고 해도 눈이 불편해서 많은 방해를 받았던 것 같습니다.

그러나 기도 후 하나님께로부터 온 응답은 “내 은혜가 네게 족하다”는 말이었습니다. 그 뜻은 하나님은 그에게 최고의 은혜를 베푸시고 있는 것이라는 말씀입니다. 그리고 그 이유로는 약한 데서 강한 것을 이루시려는 뜻이 있다는 것이었습니다. 그 의미는 육신이 아파서 살아갈 때 그는 겸손히 하나님을 간절히 의지하고 하루하루를 살아갈 수밖에 없었기 때문이었습니다. 그 결과 그런 삶에 하나님의 능력이 나타나게 된 것입니다. 그러니까 사도바울이 그런 육신의 어려움 속에서 하나님을 절대적으로 계속 의지하고 복음을 전할 때 하나님의 능력이 나타나 변화되는 사람들을 볼 수 있었던 것입니다. 이런 은혜를 경험한 사도바울은 다음과 같은 고백을 하며 살게 되었다고 말하고 있습니다. “그러므로 도리어 크게 기뻐함으로 나의 여러 약한 것들에 대하여 자랑한다”

이런 사도바울의 고백을 보면서 우리에게 있는 어려움의 의미를 다시 생각하게 됩니다. 우리로 겸손히 하나님만 의지하여 약한 데서 강한 것을 이루시려는 뜻이 있다는 것입니다. 그러므로 어려움 속에서 한없이 약해지는 우리 자신을 보면서 실망이 아니고 오히려 우리의 약함을 자랑하게 되기를 바랍니다. 그래서 우리의 약함 가운데 간절히 주님을 의지하므로 귀한 것을 이루게 되는 삶이 되기를 주님의 이름으로 축원합니다.

“When I am weak, then I am strong”

In 2 Corinthians 12:7-10, Paul confessed the following:
So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

According to this passage, Paul had a thorn in his body so that he would not become arrogant due to the precious gift that was given to him. Biblical scholars profess that the thorn in Paul’s body must refer to an eye problem. We can deduce that he must have had this sickness ever since He was blinded by a light on the road to Damascus when He met Jesus. He was in so much pain and discomfort due to his ailment that he prayed to God three times. As an evangelist, it must have been especially difficult for Paul to read books or write letters. And when he traveled around to share the good news, the discomfort in his eyes must have bothered him greatly. But God answered Paul’s prayer by saying, “My grace is sufficient for you”. This means that God had already given him the greatest grace, and thereby God’s will was to accomplish something strong in the midst of his weakness. When Paul was in pain, he had no choice but to humbly go before the Lord and desperately rely on God each day. As a result, God’s power was manifested through that kind of life. In other words, when Paul continued to completely depend on God in the midst of his hardships and share the good news, God’s power was shown, and people were transformed. Paul, who experienced this grace firsthand, lived out his confession, “Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses…”

Paul’s confession propels us to think differently about the meaning of our hardships. God’s will is to accomplish something mighty through our weaknesses as we humbly rely on God. Therefore, let us not get disappointed at our weaknesses when we face difficulties, but instead let us be able to boast about our weaknesses. I pray that you will be able to accomplish great, precious things as we seek the Lord and desperately rely on Him in the midst of our weaknesses.

이종식 목사 (베이사이드장로교회)
ⓒ 아멘넷 뉴스(USAamen.net)
  • 페이스북으로 보내기
  • 트위터로 보내기

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

오피니언 목록

게시물 검색

아멘넷의 시각게시물관리광고안내후원안내ㆍ Copyright © USAamen.net All rights reserved.
상단으로

아멘넷(USAamen.net) - Since 2003 - 미주 한인이민교회를 미래를 위한
Flushing, New York, USA
카톡 아이디 : usaamen / USAamen@gmail.com / (917) 684-0562

모바일 버전으로 보기