이종식 목사 “멈춤의 미(The Beauty of Stopping)” > 오피니언

본문 바로가기

이곳은 2017년 이후에 올려진 글입니다. 이전에 올려진 오피니언 글은 지난 오피니언 게시판에서 보실 수 있습니다.

오피니언

이종식 목사 “멈춤의 미(The Beauty of Stopping)”

페이지 정보

이종식2021-07-16

본문

이번 주는 제임스 어거스틴이란 분이 쓴 다음과 같은 글을 읽었습니다.

“나의 큰 딸인 안나가 태어난 지 15개월 정도 되었을 때 나와 내 아내는 여름 청소년 집회 장소에 있었다. 나의 아내는 집회를 마친 후 안나를 데리고 숙소로 돌아가고 있었는데 안나는 계속해서 가는 길을 멈추었고 인도 위에 눕는 것이었다. 아내는 안나를 일으켜 걸어가게 하였지만 얼마 가지 않아 다시 시멘트 인도 위에 눕는 것이었다. 그래서 아내는 짜증이 좀 나기 시작해서 그 자리에 서서 딸을 바라보았다. 그리고 그녀는 무슨 일인지 안나와 함께 길에 누워 위를 보게 되었다. 그때 내 아내는 그녀가 평생 볼 수 없었던 여름 하늘에 펼쳐지는 별들의 대광경을 보게 되었다. 우리는 너무 정해진 목적을 위해서만 바쁘게 살아가기에 우리 주변에 펼쳐지고 있는 것들에 대하여 감사하는 시간을 갖지 못하고 사는 때가 많다. 가끔 우리가 가는 길을 멈추고 다른 관점에서 사물을 살핀다면 우리는 다른 사람의 관점에서 색다른 아름다운 것이나 사랑과 애정의 아름다운 광경을 보게 될 것이다.”   

저는 이 글을 읽으면서 지난해 한참 코로나 19가 기승을 부릴 때가 생각났습니다. 지금의 집으로 이사를 하고 3년이 되도록 동네를 잘 몰라 가는 길로만 차를 운전하여 다녔었습니다. 동네에 대해 잘 모르니 정이 들지 않고 썰렁하고 삭막해 보이기까지 했습니다. 그런데 코로나 19로 아무 데도 가지 못하게 되었을 때 운동 삼아 동네를 집사람과 함께 걸어서 돌게 되었습니다. 동네 주변을 걸어서 다녀 보니 못 보던 것들이 보이는데 집마다 모양이 다르고 뜰에 심어 놓은 꽃들도 가지각색이었습니다. 동네가 깨끗하고 아름답다는 생각이 들었습니다. 모든 것이 멈추어 집에 있는 시간이 많아지자 동네 사람들은 걷기 위해 나왔고 그들과 마주치며 다정한 인사를 나누면서 다니니 꽤 살만한 좋은 곳이라는 생각을 하게 되었습니다.

그리고 항상 목적지를 한 슈퍼마켓으로 정하여 걸었기 때문에 몇 달 동안 슈퍼마켓 구경도 정말 잘했습니다. 어려서부터 구멍가게를 가는 것이 취미였는데 그동안 가지 못하였던 마켓을 가니 너무나도 좋았던 것입니다. 저는 마켓에 있는 물건 하나하나가 신기하게 보여 자세히 보기도 하고 사서 맛을 보기도 했습니다. 그리고 어떤 것은 재료를 사다가 해먹어 보기도 했습니다. 그렇게 몇 달을 지내다 보니 동네가 정이 들고 살기 좋은 곳이라고 느껴지게 되었습니다. 그러니까 코로나라는 질병으로 모든 것이 거의 다 멈추었을 때 이사한 지 3년 만에 비로소 동네에 대하여 잘 알게 되었고 하나님이 나를 쉴만한 좋은 곳으로 이사 오게 인도하셨다는 것을 느끼며 감사가 넘치게 되었습니다.

저는 이러한 경험을 하며 우리 인생에 일이 생겨 멈추는 시간은 쉼표가 찍힌 순간이고 그때 우리는 새로운 세계를 보게 된다는 것을 깨닫게 되었습니다. 사랑하는 성도님들, 지금 혹시 어려운 순간을 지나면서 모든 것이 멈추어 있다면 절망하거나 실망하지 말고 하나님이 새로운 세상을 보여주기 위함임을 생각하며 자세히 주변을 살폈으면 합니다. 반드시 우리는 새로운 것을 보게 될 것이고 하나님의 은혜에 감사를 느끼게 될 것이라 사료됩니다. 그래서 그 멈춤의 시간이 우리에게는 새로운 활력을 불어넣는 계기가 될 것을 믿습니다. 그러므로 멈춤은 후퇴가 아니고 전진을 위한 귀한 쉼이라는 것을 고백하며 멈춤을 즐길 수도 있는 우리가 되기를 주님의 이름으로 축원합니다.

The Beauty of Stopping

This week, I read the following that was written by a man named James Augustine:

When my oldest daughter was 15 months old, my wife and I were at a youth convention during the summer. As she was walking back to the dormitory with our little girl in tow, Anna kept stopping and laying down on the sidewalk. Mom would heave her back up on her feet and walk a few more feet, only to have Anna lay down once again on the cement. Starting to feel a bit frustrated, Mom stopped and looked at her daughter. She then got down on the ground with Anna and looked up and saw the most amazing display of stars in the summer night sky that she had ever seen. So often in life, we are in such a hurry to get where we're going that we fail to stop and take the time to appreciate what is around us. And sometimes, if we just stop and take a different perspective on things, we might just see something beautiful...like another person's point of view, or a beautiful display of love and affection. So don't be in such a hurry. Take time to appreciate where you are and what's happening around you.

This passage reminded me of the past year when the Covid-19 pandemic was at its peak.  It had been about three years since my family and I moved to our current residence, but I was still not that familiar with the neighborhood; I drove the same route each time to go home.  Since I did not really know the area well, the small town did not seem homey to me, but rather bleak and aloof.  But when we were unable to go anywhere due to the pandemic, my wife and I started exercising by walking around the neighborhood.  As we walked around the block, we noticed things that we had not seen before. Every house we saw was different from one another, and there were various types of gardens and landscapes at each house. Over time, I saw that our neighborhood is clean and beautiful. When life was put on hold due to the pandemic and people began to spend more time at home than before, my neighbors started taking walks, too. And we would exchange friendly greetings whenever we met one another on the streets. This made me realize that this is a good place to live.

Because we set a supermarket as our destination on our walks, I was able to explore the market many times during those few months. As a youth, I enjoyed visiting the local markets, but I could not go for a while. So, I was glad that I was able to go to the market again. At the store, I found every item to be so interesting that I would examine them carefully, and sometimes, I would even buy it to have taste. And on several occasions, I bought some ingredients for new recipes and tried making them at home.  After living like this for several months, my neighborhood started to grow on me, and I realized that this really is a wonderful place to live. When almost everything came to a stop due to the coronavirus, I finally got to know my neighborhood after three years of living here.  And I was filled with gratitude as I thought of how God had led me to move to a good place to rest.  Through this experience, I realized that when something happens in our lives that causes us to stop, that moment is just a rest in our lives. 

And due to that pause, we will gain new perspectives and be able to see a new world. Dear Church, if you are currently facing a difficult time and feel like everything has come to a stop, do not be discouraged or dismayed.  Instead, take a closer look at your surroundings and remember that it is through this time that God will show you a new world. We will most definitely see things in a new light and feel grateful for the grace of God.  I believe that a pause in our lives will prove to be a time of refreshing and rest for us.  Therefore, let us be able to confess that a stop in our lives is not a regression, but a necessary respite for progression.  I exhort you in the name of our Lord that we will be able to enjoy even the pauses in our lives.

이종식 목사 (베이사이드장로교회)
ⓒ 아멘넷 뉴스(USAamen.net)
  • 페이스북으로 보내기
  • 트위터로 보내기

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

오피니언 목록

게시물 검색

아멘넷의 시각게시물관리광고안내후원안내ㆍ Copyright © USAamen.net All rights reserved.
상단으로

아멘넷(USAamen.net) - Since 2003 - 미주 한인이민교회를 미래를 위한
Flushing, New York, USA
카톡 아이디 : usaamen / USAamen@gmail.com / (917) 684-0562

모바일 버전으로 보기