행동으로 믿는 자임을 증명하는 자가 됩시다 > 오피니언

본문 바로가기

이곳은 2017년 이후에 올려진 글입니다. 이전에 올려진 오피니언 글은 지난 오피니언 게시판에서 보실 수 있습니다.

오피니언

행동으로 믿는 자임을 증명하는 자가 됩시다

페이지 정보

이종식2021-10-26

본문

이종식“어느 날 길가의 한 거지가 알렉산더 대왕이 지나갈 때 그에게 구걸했다고 합니다. 그 거지는 천하고 가난하여 통치자에게 감히 손을 들어 구할 수도 없는 처지였습니다. 그런데 그때 황제는 그에게 몇 개의 금화를 던져주는 것이었습니다. 그의 관대함에 놀란 신하는 거지에게 구리나 은화면 적당할 것인데 왜 그에게 금화를 주는 것이냐라고 물었다고 합니다. 그때 알렉산더는 왕의 자세를 갖추고 다음과 같이 대답했다고 합니다. 구리 주화는 거지의 필요에 적합하지만, 금화는 알렉산더의 기부에 적합하다.”

이 이야기는 우리에게 귀한 가르침을 주고 있다고 생각됩니다. 사람들은 주로 사람에게 무엇인가 베풀 때 나의 형편을 따라서가 아닌 그 상대방의 위치나 형편에 맞게 적당한 것을 주려고 합니다. 그리고 무엇인가를 주는 삶뿐만 아니라 사람들과의 모든 관계를 이런 식으로 맺어 나가려는 경향이 있습니다. 예를 들면 누군가 나에게 무엇인가 잘못했으면 그에 상응하는 대가를 치르게 하려고 합니다. 상대방이 욕을 했으면 나도 그만큼 욕하고 상대방이 나를 비판했으면 그만큼 상대방을 비판하려고 하는 것입니다. 그러나 그런 행동은 나의 위치와 인격이 무엇이라는 것을 들어낼 뿐 좋은 열매를 맺을 수 없습니다. 성경은 하나님을 믿는 성도는 상대방이 어떻게 나오든지 하나님의 사람답게 행동하라고 말씀하고 있습니다. 그래서 악으로 나오는 사람에 대하여 악으로 갚지 말고 선으로 악을 이기라는 말씀을 하는 것입니다. 그 의미는 악을 행하는 자는 자신이 악한 자라는 것을 들어내는 것이고 그 결과는 악한 열매를 맺으리라는 것입니다. 그러나 악을 선으로 갚는 자는 자신이 선한 사람이라는 것을 들어내는 것이고 그 결과 선의 열매를 거둔다는 말입니다. 그러니까 사람은 자신이 행하는 것에 따라 자신이 누구인가를 드러내는 것이라는 것입니다.

알렉산더 대왕은 동냥하는 거지에게 적선할 때 거지의 형편만큼 주지 않았습니다. 그 결과 그는 자신이 자비로운 왕임을 행동으로 드러낸 것입니다. 성경을 보면 예수님은 마음은 안 그런데 사람들에게 좋게 보이려고 하는 외식적인 행동을 아주 싫어하셨다는 것을 알게 됩니다. 그 증거로 예수님은 사람들에게 보이려고 헌금 생활을 철저하게 하는 바리새인들을 야단치셨습니다. 그러나 회당에서 헌금통에 아주 적은 돈인 동전을 넣는 과부를 보시고 칭찬하셨습니다. 그 이유는 그녀는 하나님을 바라보며 자신이 가진 전부를 넣었기 때문입니다. 이런 사실은 우리에게 하나님에게 드리는 것도 하나님을 바라보고 자신의 형편만큼 드려야 진정한 그리스도인의 헌금생활이라는 것을 가르쳐 주고 있는 것입니다.

하루하루 살면서 상대방에 따라 행동하는 우리가 아니고 그리스도를 믿는 성도다운 행동을 통하여 하나님께 칭찬을 받게 되기를 바랍니다. 오늘도 나의 행동으로 자신이 누구인가를 증명하는 우리가 되기를 주님의 이름으로 축원합니다.

​​​“Let us Show that we are Believers through our Actions”

One day a beggar by the roadside asked for alms from Alexander the Great as he passed by. The man was poor and wretched and had no claim upon the ruler, no right even to lift a solicitous hand. Yet the Emperor threw him several gold coins. A courtier was astonished at his generosity and commented, “Sir, copper coins would adequately meet a beggar’s need. Why give him gold?” Alexander responded in royal fashion, “Copper coins would suit the beggar’s need, but gold coins suit Alexander’s giving.

This story teaches us something very important. When we give something to someone, we usually try to give something that matches their standards or status rather than give them something according to our standards. And not only do we do this when we give to others, we can see ourselves doing relationships in this way, too. For instance, when somebody wrongs us, we try to compensate in the same way to them as well. If someone curses at me, I equally curse at them back. If people mock me, I do the same to them. However, these kinds of behavior only reveal my own personality and where I am in life, which definitely do not enable me to bear good fruit. The Bible states that those who believe in God must act like God’s people. This is why God tells us not to pay back evil with evil but to rather overcome evil with good. This means that those who do evil reveal that they are evil, and as a result they will bear fruit that is evil. However, those who pay back evil with good reveal that they are good people, and they will bear good fruit as a result. Therefore, we reveal who we truly are through our actions.

When Alexander the Great gave to the imploring beggar, he gave more than what was fitting for the beggar. As a result, he showed through his actions that he is a generous king. When we look at the Bible, we can see that Jesus detested it when people displayed superficial acts in order to look good in front of others. As proof of this truth, Jesus scolded the Pharisees for the way they gave their offerings to God. However, He praised the widow for her meager offering of just two coins because her focus was on God, and she gave Him her all. This truth teaches us that true offering is when we focus on God and give as much as our situation allows.

Let our actions not reflect repaying evil with evil. But may our actions show that we believe in Christ, and thereby be praised by Him. I pray that we will be able to prove our identity through our actions today.

이종식 목사 (베이사이드장로교회)
ⓒ 아멘넷 뉴스(USAamen.net)
  • 페이스북으로 보내기
  • 트위터로 보내기

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

오피니언 목록

게시물 검색

아멘넷의 시각게시물관리광고안내후원안내ㆍ Copyright © USAamen.net All rights reserved.
상단으로

아멘넷(USAamen.net) - Since 2003 - 미주 한인이민교회를 미래를 위한
Flushing, New York, USA
카톡 아이디 : usaamen / USAamen@gmail.com / (917) 684-0562

모바일 버전으로 보기